Indications for Use
MyndMove is an electrical stimulation device indicated for the following uses:
1. Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES): Improvement of arm and hand function and active range of motion in patients with hemiplegia due to stroke or upper-limb paralysis due to C3-C7 spinal cord injury.
2. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES):
i. maintenance and/or increase of arm and hand range of motion,
ii. prevention and/or retardation of disuse atrophy,
iii. increase in local blood circulation,
iv. reduction in muscle spasm, and
v. re-education of muscles
Contraindications for Use
In order for patients to benefit from MyndMove, they must be medically stable, able to actively participate in and to communicate with the therapist during treatment.
Conditions that preclude patients from receiving MyndMove therapy are summarized in our Contraindications for use. These include:
- Do not use the MyndMove system if the patient has a pacemaker, implanted defibrillator, or implanted metallic or electronic device. If the patient has passive metallic implants, the therapy can be delivered if the implants are located in an area other than where the electrical stimulation is to be delivered. Patients with pacemakers or an implanted electronic device should not be subjected to stimulation unless specialist medical opinion has first been obtained.
- Do not use the MyndMove system if a cancerous lesion is present or suspected on the upper extremity being treated.
- Do not use the MyndMove system on an arm if there is an unhealed wound or fracture.
- Do not use the MyndMove system over swollen, infected, or inflamed areas or skin eruptions (e.g. phlebitis, thrombophlebitis).
- Do not use the MyndMove system if the patient has cognitive impairment, patient participation is required to deliver therapy and patients must be able to understand and follow instructions.
- Do not use the MyndMove system on an arm that has been treated with botulinum toxin in the past 6 months.
For more information on Contraindications for Use and Safety Precautions, please consult your MyndMove User Guide.